My friend adopted a baby last month, so of course we organized a baby shower! (The collective we, because my roommate did most of the work). It was particularly special because the latest addition to our Moshi family, Thomas, was present for his shower -- and was a most willing participant in the opening of presents and being passed around, to the delight of Lena and Alya -- our budding pre-teen moms :)

I knitted a hat for Thomas -- because, even in Moshi, it can get cool! (though you wouldn't know it from all my complaints about the heat.)

He'll grow into it, I swear!
In other news, I organized another blood drive last month -- less fanfare than our first drive in November, but 12 more units and a few first-time donor colleagues of mine! A grand total of 73 this time...
Our administrative assistant donating AND chatting on the phone - typical Tanzanian-style :)
One of the Obs/Gyn consultants -- the fruits of my powers of persuasion!
Would you believe it, I'm also finding time to work :) Actually, I've been quite busy lately -- as I'm watching my time dwindle away, day by day, I'm trying to get at least 2 papers out by the time I leave, plus another reflective piece on ethical issues in women's health. Translate that to do list into what I actually do? Read and write sana (alot)! Reading old papers, analyzing our data in new ways, writing the interpretation of our results, sending to my mentors, aaaand back to square one. It's an iterative process to say the least, but at least I'm learning how to think more critically about research -- which is what this year's all about! So I can't complain..
Last but not least -- I decided! I'm going to apply for a residency in Ob/Gyn :) So I'm trying to spend more time on the wards in between all this reading, writing, and analyzing. Although I keep wanting to DO a delivery, the patients I take interest in always seem to need a C-section, so instead I assist -- but that's pretty fun too :) And I'm kind of learning vaginal ultrasound, seeing a few more 'interesting' patients with Jeff, and I even got to scrub in to a case the other day!
Life is good :) Off to start another busy week...

Finally catching up on some of these. Thanks for the updates. And that sounds great about doing an Ob/Gyn residency. How about doing it at Duke? :)
ReplyDelete