17 August 2009

Random updates: penguins, singed sleeves, scrubs/house of god combo

I'm learning so much! Like how to bake, how beans grow (in pods!), how to sms on cell phones -- the ones that have three letters per numerical key -- and how to save penguins :) I can start there -- thanks to Brandi I learned the best analogy!! Our brains are ever shrinking icebergs and there are only so many penguins, so some of them end up jumping at some point, unbeknownst to us until it's too late, but we should figure out which penguins are worth losing and which are worth keeping. Of course, this all came up because I asked one too many, "But why??" questions :) (Brandi, if I messed it up feel free to comment.)

Because it was Jeff's birthday, Brandi was baking -- a 4-layer lemon curd cake (i helped!), chocolate hostess cupcakes, and coffee cake. They were yummy and definitely made up about 50% of my caloric intake for a day. Definitely the hostess with the mostest, I cannot wait for my birthday!! :) I've requested a carrot cake, mmmm. From scratch. Even including the frosting. I am sooooo lucky :)

Otherwise, a pretty quiet weekend -- I finished Three Cups of Tea, which is definitely worth reading if you (a) like education, (b) like an 'against-all-odds story,' or (c) like to learn about different cultures; and started the House of God and Scrubs simultaneously. It's funny how the book and the show basically say the same thing even though they're 30 years apart. And omg, turfing and bouncing pts are from that book!! It's definitely a fabulously entertaining read and I only wish I'd also read it as a pre-clin student, when I would have been so disbelieving of the cynicism that pervades medicine. I also bought 2 bollywood DVDs -- caved in to the pilfered market that is DVDs in Moshi, only to find that both of them are damaged!! :( there goes 5 bucks, haha.

I promise I'll write about my research next (well, after the one following right now). Just processing my meeting and presentation from Monday, which could have gone a little better, especially since the day began getting ready by candlelight and singing my sleeve in the process! No shower, no tea, no cell phone charge -- great start, hunh? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment