I'll try to update in chronological order, though I am still slightly disturbed by having just been asked for my phone number by an 11 year old boy (who says he's in primary school!)! Anyway, lazy Sundays here are fabulous -- definitely got on an organizational kick last weekend, cleaned out the kitchen and rearranged the bookshelf (and found some gems in the process -- no need to have packed so many novels!). I'll have to take a picture before someone messes it up!! ... yes, I know, I am OCPD, but it was very satisfying. Today was just more catching up, trying to prepare for meetings this week, and reading crazy articles Chez Bev/Brandi's internet cafe (they have wifi!!!) Have you guys read the story on Radovan Karadic as the new age guru during his time hiding out? Spermosans, people, I mean who comes up with that?? http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/26/magazine/26karadzic-t.html
I've been consumed this week with The Red Tent -- seriously a good book, and not only because after a year of doing women's health here I might be convinced into going into Ob/Gyn!! Sidebar, as this is a whole post in and of itself -- haven't even had much clinical time except for morning rounds, but patients' problems here are both really sad and really interesting. I feel like it's going to be a constant struggle to rationalize my scientific interest in their problems with feeling really sad, about everything. But I guess that's why we're here -- to see problems and find solutions for the patients.
So now I've moved on to reading Three Cups of Tea -- a Moshi-must. Greg Mortensen, who's the main character, was born here -- and his parents founded KCMC, where I'm working!! All this reading has been awesome, but I've definitely neglected my daily Swahili studying -- really counting on Bariki (my Tanzanian twin scholar) to bolster my language skills!!
Workwise, the week was great! So many cool projects going on, so many to choose from, and definitely many opportunities to learn how to do clinical research and hopefully leave a mark. The only awkward part is rounding daily but no one has introduced me to the residents!! And as friendly as Tanzanians are, they aren't friendly until they've been introduced. But Friday I met one of the Tanzanian Indian (and punjabi) residents, and I think we'll be friends pretty quickly :) It's amazing how Indians ask you the same questions no matter where you've grown up: Where is your family from, what language do you speak, how often do you go back to India, etc....
We also were in the throes of preparing for our first inaugural meeting this past week to create a women's health network in East Africa -- which went fabulously well! And of course, I'm the fastest typer because I'm the youngest, so I naturally was the day's scribe -- which provided endless amusement to our guests. So definitely lots more research potential across other sites. Anyway, my big meeting to actually define my specific research goals will occur this week, so I'll keep you posted on what I decide to focus on. I'm a little nervous about finding good/interesting results, but I guess all I can hope for is to ask a good question and go from there.
Outside of work -- I started running again!! So far, just inside the compound -- not the most interesting loop, but there are so many rocks that you're just paying attention to the ground. Good thing Kili has been under cloud cover all week -- though today was another glorious view! It's also funny to see how Tanzanians react to my running -- they all call out, "pole sana," which means 'you poor thing!' If only I could make them understand how happy it makes me to run. Anyway, about to expand to a 3.5 mile loop outside the compound with the Peds ID doc from Baylor. I definitely thrive with a running buddy! And, I found out the international school across the street has stables. I'm set!! Time for some new barn friends...
My weekly trip to town and to the market (I know, you're thinking, which little piggy are you??) was very fruitful -- found a super cute scarf and, of course, earrings!!! And, thanks to Brandi's repeated encouragement to rid myself of my ginormous, bright orange wallet in favor of a simple wallet, I found this cute pink cloth wallet and matching purse -- with a bow that ties shut :) Yup, nothing's changed, even in Moshi. And I'm taste-testing the various coffee shops for their coffee and spiced chai -- so that when you visit, my recommendations are Red Guide worthy! Probably the best was bargaining down one of the market shops for the mangoes I bought. So it's well-known that they upcharge us mzungus (foreigners) -- you should have seen the lady's face when I asked for a 300 shilling discount!! That's like $0.25.... although when I convert shillings to dollars, even I feel guilty about ever bargaining here.
Some highlights from shopping...
We also met Jimmy Carter in town, again. Yup, there is this guy dressed like a Rasta who comes up to all foreigners and says he's Jimmy Carter. Ruchi said she was Sarah Palin and Bev was Hillary Clinton -- but he didn't get it! Once this year I'll have to take a picture of him.
Probably my most significant achievement was cooking dinner for 12 people Saturday night. I know, can you believe it!?! (although this whole week I've barely had to make any food, since someone's always cooking and inviting everyone over -- so it was definitely our turn.) We had so much pasta in our house that it was time for a pasta party -- so I made pasta sauce!! Not that difficult in the abstract but trust me, I was stressed!! Good thing Bev came to the rescue and made a second lot of sauce :) And we had yummy lettuce/avocado salad from our garden, plus some great coconut macaroons for dessert. No one died of food poisoning, which I'm taking as a sign of success :) It was great hanging out with everyone, especially the two girls, who I feel I'll be spending a lot of time this year... hopefully as the cool aunty and as partners-in-crime at the stables (even if their parents regret the day they introduced us!) :)
But I was definitely exhausted by the time the night was over, and cuddled in bed with my book, my mosquito netting, and read as some people down the street had a Shania Twain party.... yeah, it's weird. Good thing Mama Rosie will be helping to clean up on Monday! Anyway, my next project: find a bare wall in our house to project a movie for post-dinner entertainment. Almost bought a best of hrithik roshan dancing dvd this weekend...
So my second week was great -- very busy and somewhat schizophrenic -- so I still have not found a good routine, but that's ok. Goals for this week -- shorter blogs, longer runs, and riding. Oh, and I guess some research, too :) My IRB (research approval from Stanford) is due far too soon :/
Well I'm done posting, even though there's so much more I could say, and completely lost in the movie -- time to wikipedia the plot :)
No comments:
Post a Comment