10 August 2009

What's that smell?

So I'm no super-smeller, but there is definitely this smell in Tanzania that is indescribable. It's not food, it's not pollution, it's not that sticky-smell in humid countries (moshi is far from humid!), it's not even BO (though I definitely smell that often)... I could keep naming what it's not, but unclear what it is. At least it's not offensive, only very noticeable. I'm afraid it's seeping into my pores and I'll never smell the same again!!! Any thoughts what this could be?? Needless to say, oil of olay is going to make lots of money off of me as I guzzle body wash!! Even though my shower pressure is like a trickling stream. We had to jury-rig the shower head to put it about head level to create some pressure, but really I think we're just trying to make ourselves feel better. It takes about 5 minutes for all the conditioner to wash out, and I just cut 3 inches of my hair off before I came here!


But at least my house is all back in order after our party! I'm sure Mama Rosie had a heart attack to see all those dishes piled up in the sink and my white shirt that got splattered with pasta sauce and needed some serious rescuing -- but she saved the day :)

Best news -- I found all my favorite indian biscuits in the store this week!! I'm stocked with the parle-g and mcvitie's digestive equivalents -- now to find the bourbon street equivalent and I'll pretty much be living off the most unhealthy diet ever. My lunch is a peanut butter/honey/baby banana sandwich!! I really should make a sandwich with vegetables, but that would take too much effort at 630 in the morning. Lunch options at the hospital are wali maharagwe, wali maharagwe, oh, and some wali maharagwe. ie, rice and beans. It totally depends where you get the rice and beans, but it's hit or miss depending on where we go, and they serve me way more rice than beans, so I end up not eating much and probably offending the Tanzanians. So I figure if I bring my own lunch, I'll never be unhappy (even if I do get a bit bored of the same sandwich!). Last week I even had to suffer eating the avocado salad where they just removed the chicken from the top and served it to me. I know it sounds crazy, but it was really hard for me -- I haven't eaten meat in years and the thought is just so unappetizing (to put it politely). But I survived :) Anyway, we'll see how the year goes -- at least the indian-influenced food makes me happy -- what more do I need besides chai and chapati? :)

P.S. I just saw the Milky Way!!!! Tonight felt like a planetarium -- except in real life. Totally makes the power outages and the occasionally discomfiting rustling sounds of bush babies (I think) worthwhile. But there was no way to take a picture of this -- how can I capture a 360-degree view in one still picture? Guess you'll have to come visit, and we can sleep outside under the stars :)


1 comment:

  1. Hi Malavika! I hope you don't mind, but Michaela shared your website with me and I've been procrastinating for the past 20 minutes (shhh!) reading your posts! It sounds like you are having an absolutely amazing time. Makes me want to pack up and come look at the milky way with you. In anycase, keep writing and we'll keep reading! Good luck with all those odors!
    - Kiersten

    ReplyDelete